Composer Competition: IPO Classical Evolve
As part of Maestro Stilian Kirov's vision to encourage the development of new musical voices, Illinois Philharmonic Orchestra is excited to announce IPO Classical Evolve- our inaugural composition competition aimed at expanding the canon of classical music for current and future generations. In an innovative and artistically fulfilling process, three finalists will be chosen to have their original score workshopped and performed LIVE to IPO audiences on Tuesday, May 8, 2018. The winning composer will be named IPO “Composer in Residence” and have the opportunity to compose three works for IPO’s 2018-19 Season.
- Composers who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents
- 35 years old or younger as of May 8, 2018
- One Winner will be chosen by Jury
- Composer in Residence title for IPO 2018-19 Season
- Opportunity to compose three works for IPO classical series during the 2018-19 Season
- Opportunity to compose two chamber music pieces for IPO at Ravisloe Summer Series
- Prize of $3,000 payable in three installments throughout the 2018-19 Season upon completion of each work for classical series
- Archival recording of each classical series concert performed during the 2018-19 Season (to be used only for promotional purposes in accordance with Chicago Federation of Musicians Local No. 10-208, A.F.M.)
- Visibility and publicity as IPO’s Composer in Residence in all press materials, on IPO website and in the wider Chicago area
Application fee: $30. Payable to Illinois Philharmonic Orchestra, 377 Artists Walk, Park Forest, IL 60466. Checks must be postmarked by December 10, 2017. Alternatively, payment may be made over the phone at 708.481.7774 by December 15, 2017, 3 PM CST.
Please see the Composer Competition PDF for full details and application instructions.
ALL QUESTIONS SHOULD BE DIRECTED TO firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.
IPO PATRONS: Help shape the future of classical music. Attend the workshop session of the three composer finalists and vote for your favorite composition. The audience vote will give add one collective favorite vote to the judging panel! Event starts at 6:30PM on Tuesday, May 8, 2018, at Ozinga Chapel. Seating is general admission.